Greetings fellow CREW-St. Louis members,
As I write my final message for the year, I can’t help but marvel in all we have accomplished as a chapter this year. Our theme this year centers around Making an IMPACT, and as we begin to close out 2017 I can truly say it has indeed been an impactful year!
CREW-St. Louis' mission is to advance, educate and support women to influence the commercial real estate industry. We lived up to this mission this year by making an impact in many ways:
- Leadership: We’ve prepared women to play pivotal roles in our industry’s future. Twenty-two women from our chapter attended the CREW Network Convention and Marketplace in Houston. Several were first-timers attending on a scholarship provided by our chapter. We learned about the importance of authentic leadership and emotional intelligence from Travis Bradberry, award-winning author of the #1 best-selling book, Emotional Intelligence 2.0.
- Excellence: We strive for quality and integrity in all our work including monthly programs that have often sold out this year due to record attendance. Our UCREW and CREW Careers events educated and encouraged young women and girls to consider a career in commercial real estate. The 21st Annual Golf Classic this year furthered its position as the industry’s premier networking and golf event with a sold-out crowd at Norwood Hills Country Club.
- Influence: We believe that collectively we have the power to be an agent of positive change. At CREW Network's Convention we learned about unconscious bias from Geena Davis’s Institute on Gender in Media. An academy-award winning actor and advocate, Geena Davis founded the institute in 2004. She spoke on the negative impact of unconscious gender bias in the media, film and television. We support her mission to ensure “If she can see it, she can be it.” We also cannot thank enough all the companies that choose to help us achieve our mission through their generous sponsorships. We are grateful for their continued support.
- Community: We support, assist and cultivate loyalty among our multidisciplinary members. Our membership has consistently increased throughout the year. We’ve added C-suite level members as well as those just entering their careers. We’ve hosted Coffee with CREW and happy hour events for prospective members. Board members have taken all 52 new members this year to lunch as part of our signature warm welcome and to discuss all the benefits of their membership.
- Advancement: We promote the contributions of women in commercial real estate by highlighting our members’ promotions and advancements through our bi-monthly newsletter, our newly designed website and social media outlets. Our sold-out annual CREW Awards dinner in March, held at the Women’s Club, was a night to remember as we celebrated the many accomplishments of our members.
- We turned 35! Back in 1982, six commercial real estate brokers – Lynn Schenk, Donita Rachel, Vicki Dolan, Linda Guenther, Ellie Bush and Linda Poinsett – met at Busch’s Grove to discuss the formation of our chapter. This pioneering group of female brokers launched CREW-St. Louis some 35 years ago. On November 14, 2017, our Gala celebrated these pioneers as well as all of the many CREW members and Chapter Presidents that have followed since then. The event was a sellout at the beautiful Caramel ballroom at Bissinger’s in downtown St. Louis. The evening’s first surprise was a visit from Mayor Lyda Krewson, who joined our celebration and provided a proclamation certificate in celebration of our 35th Anniversary. Please join me in congratulating CREW-St. Louis Board Member Sara Stock, the winner of our first Diamond Heist where she left with a pair of one-carat diamond earrings. I give a special thank you to St. Louis real estate icon Wendy Timm for providing us with a memorable toast to commemorate the evening. Everyone left the celebration with a pair of jade earrings, the customary 35th anniversary gift, and the latest iteration of the CREW President’s book chockfull of testimonials, memories and advice from every past president of CREW-St. Louis.
- NEW CREW Logo & Video Reveal: We revealed our chapter’s new logo identity at the Gala. The modernization of our logo is tied to one of our Chapter’s Strategic plan goals that focuses on increasing our brand and visibility in the marketplace. Our new logo is now featured on our website and on our social media outlets. Additionally, we created a video featuring members sharing testimonials about why they joined CREW and the benefits of doing so. It serves as a wonderful tribute to CREW-St. Louis and its impact on its members, the industry and the region.
It truly has been a year of Making an IMPACT. However, none of this would have been even remotely possible without something I mentioned in my very first newsletter: the forest of redwoods and the deep root system that has networked us together allowing us to stand the tallest in the forest. I’m talking about my fellow board members, committee chairs, sponsors, and the membership at large. Your deep roots made all this possible. I thank each and every one of you for all you have done this year to positively impact our chapter and for personally making this the most remarkable time of my career.
On Jan. 1, 2018, I leave you in the very capable and experienced hands of none other than long-time Board Member Lynn Goessling, Partner at Herzog Crebs LLP. Lynn will proudly serve as your next CREW-St. Louis President. As I pass the torch, I wish Lynn all the best in leading our chapter in 2018. I know she will make us all proud.
It has truly been an honor,
2017 CREW-St. Louis President
Principal & Director of Advisory Services
P.S. Happy holidays to you and yours and let’s make 2018 our best year yet!