Networking & Building Relationships, One Swear Word at A Time
Have you ever walked into a room full of people with a name tag on and your soul left your body? Does the thought of introducing yourself to a stranger make you break out in cold sweats? Is reading this right now making your heart race and your mind turn into a void?
Thankfully, CREW-St. Louis members who answered yes to the above questions received help in the form of a spirited and sweary presentation by networking guru Julie Brown. Julie is the author of This Sh!t Works: A No-Nonsense Guide to Networking Your Way to More Friends, More Adventures, and More Success
and creator of the This Sh!t Works
Over the course of an hour, Julie distilled her book into a raucous yet informative presentation, including the seven key traits of successful networkers:
- A desire to meet people.
- A genuine curiosity about who other people are, what their stories are and what you can learn from them.
- To seek commonality or even differences that can propel your interactions into the future.
- To reach out and tend to that relationship, helping it grow; you must be willing to take on that responsibility and not lay it all on the other person.
- To remain authentic and worthy of their trust through the entire process.
- To never enter a relationship with a “give-me” attitude or keep score along the way.
- To be grateful for the relationship.
You’re probably reading this list and thinking, “I already do most of these things!” So not only does This Sh!t Work
, but it’s also easy. If there’s one takeaway from the evening, it’s that networking doesn’t have to be and shouldn’t be complicated!
Want more information and insights? To order Julie’s book
; to listen to her podcast
; and to connect with Julie and join her mailing list
Now go forth and put this sh!t into action!